Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2013 18:07:08 -0700
From: philip.og...@oracle.com
To: user@spark.incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: write data into HBase via spark

    Hao,

    Thank you for the detailed response!  (even if delayed!)

    I'm curious to know what version of hbase you added to your pom
    file.

    Thanks,

    Philip

    On 11/14/2013 10:38 AM, Hao REN wrote:

      Hi, Philip.

        Basically, we need PairRDDFunctions.saveAsHadoopDataset
          to do the job, as HBase is not a fs, saveAsHadoopFile doesn't
          work.

        def saveAsHadoopDataset(conf: JobConf): Unit

        this function takes a JobConf parameter which should be
          configured. Essentially, you need to set output format and the
          name of the output table.

        // step 1: JobConf setup:

        // Note: mapred package is used, instead of the mapreduce
          package which contains new hadoop APIs.
        import org.apache.hadoop.hbase.mapred.TableOutputFormat

        import org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client._

        // ... some other settings

          val conf = HBaseConfiguration.create()

          // general hbase setting

          conf.set("hbase.rootdir", "hdfs://" + nameNodeURL +
              ":" + hdfsPort + "/hbase")
          conf.setBoolean("hbase.cluster.distributed", true)
          conf.set("hbase.zookeeper.quorum", hostname)
          conf.setInt("hbase.client.scanner.caching", 10000)

        // ... some other settings

          val jobConfig: JobConf = new JobConf(conf,
              this.getClass)

          // Note:  TableOutputFormat is used as deprecated code,
            because JobConf is an old hadoop API
          jobConfig.setOutputFormat(classOf[TableOutputFormat])
          jobConfig.set(TableOutputFormat.OUTPUT_TABLE,
              outputTable)

        // step 2: give your mapping:

        // the last thing todo is mapping your local data schema to
          the hbase one
        // Say, our hbase schema is as below:
        // row    cf:col_1    cf:col_2

        // And in spark, you have a RDD of triple, like (1, 2, 3),
          (4, 5, 6), ...

        // So you should map RDD[(int, int, int)] to
RDD[(ImmutableBytesWritable,
            Put)], where Put carries the mapping.

        // You can define a function used by RDD.map, for example:

          def convert(triple: (Int, Int, Int)) = {
                val p = new Put(Bytes.toBytes(triple._1))
                p.add(Bytes.toBytes("cf"),
              Bytes.toBytes("col_1"), Bytes.toBytes(triple._2))
                p.add(Bytes.toBytes("cf"),
              Bytes.toBytes("col_2"), Bytes.toBytes(triple._3))
                (new ImmutableBytesWritable, p)
          }

        // Suppose you have a RDD[(Int, Int, Int)] called localData,
          then writing data to hbase can be done by :

        new

PairRDDFunctions(localData.map(convert)).saveAsHadoopDataset(jobConfig)

        VoilĂ . That's all you need. Hopefully, this simple example
          could help.

        Hao.