The bolt base classes have a prepare method:

https://storm.incubator.apache.org/apidocs/backtype/storm/topology/base/BaseBasicBolt.html

and the spout base classes have a similar activate method:

https://storm.incubator.apache.org/apidocs/backtype/storm/topology/base/BaseRichSpout.html

Is that sufficient for your needs or were you thinking of something
different?

Marc