If you want to check if the user is in session, I would create for yourself
a BaseAction class which all your Actions extend. In Base Action, expose a
getter to do that calculation. It's sounds like you really have a case
where you want this property on the Value Stack on each invocation.

I use this pattern myself to access the user.

Paul