On 27/04/12 00:52, Mike O'Leary wrote:
> Mike O'Learyy <tmoleary@...> writes:
>

>> Thilo Goetz <twgoetz@...> writes:

>>> Yes but you need the original pear to do that.  If somebody
>>> installed the pear, made modifications and then just zipped
>>> it up, it wouldn't work.  On the other hand, a pear that was
>>> just unzipped, not installed, will not run.  It was my
>>> understanding that the original poster did not in fact have
>>> the original pear file.
>>>
>>> So what you do, and I suspect that is what Jens also does,
>>> is install the pear, run it, make modifications, and then
>>> migrate your changes from the installed pear into the zip
>>> file.  That works, but it's not exactly a smooth process.
>>>
>>> --Thilo
>>>

>> I do have the original pear file. Would it work to do the following steps:
>> 1. Change the pear file extension from .pear to .zip.
>> 2. Unzip the archive.
>> 3. Change the pathnames in the file from absolute to the correct relative
>> pathnames.
>> 4. Rezip the unzipped directory structure.
>> 5. Change the extension back to .pear.
>>
>> If that works, then I can easily do it. I didn't realize that .pear files
>> used
>> compression that is compatible with that used for .zip files.
>> Thanks,
>> Mike
>>

> I guess there must be more to it. When I tried using WinZip and whatever
> similar
> capability is built into Windows 7 to expand a pear file, change the
> pathnames
> and rezip it, the archive that was produced was slightly larger than the
> original, and when I tried to install it, I got an IOException with the
> message
> "installation descriptor not found". I didn't change anything other than the
> pathnames in one file, so the installation descriptor was still in the right
> place. I assume it couldn't find the installation descriptor because it
> didn't
> recognize the format of the compressed file. What would be a good tool for
> expanding and compressing pear files (without interpreting their contents)?
> Thanks,
> Mike

Mike,

a pear file is nothing but a zip file with a specific
structure and certain files.  If you have a pear file
with absolute paths in it, that sounds like a contradiction
to me.  I would go back to the source and ask them to
give you a properly packaged pear, with no absolute paths.

If that is not possible, your only option is to dive into
the pear documentation and try to reconstruct a proper
pear from what you have (which may not be that difficult).

--Thilo