We use maven for our UIMA-AS projects.  Here is the build section from our
standard POM entries:

<build>
    <resources>
      <resource>
        <directory>src/main/desc/</directory>
      </resource>
      <resource>
        <directory>src/main/resources/</directory>
      </resource>
    </resources>
    <pluginManagement>
        <plugins>
         <plugin>
          <configuration>
            <source>1.6</source>
            <target>1.6</target>
          </configuration>
        </plugin>
      </plugins>
    </pluginManagement>
   </build>

This adds the desc and resources directories as source directories that allow
you to resolve the import of descriptors by name.

Thanks,

Thomas Ginter
801-448-7676
thomas.gin...@utah.edu