I agree that it might make more sense to model our needs more directly instead of trying to squeeze it into the schema we normally use for text processing. But at the same time I would of course like to avoid having to reimplement many of the things that are already available when using AnnotationBase.

For the cross-view indexing issue I was thinking of creating individual views for each modality and then a merged view that just contains a subset of annotations of each view, and on which we would do the cross-modal reasoning.

I just looked again at the GaleMultiModalExample (not much there, unfortunately) and saw that e.g. AudioSpan derives from AnnotationBase but still has float values for begin/end. I would be really interested in learning more about what was done in GALE, but it's hard to find any relevant information...

Thanks,
Jens