Richard,

There is an API in UIMA for generating Analysis Engine Descriptors as well as
Aggregates and Type System descriptions.  I use that API to generate the xml
descriptor at runtime after the configuration has been completed.  I wrote my
own logic to track the delegates of an Aggregate descriptor in order to
propagate updates to/from delegates to allow the user to dynamically specify
Analysis Engine parameters.  I also merged the scale out parameters for UIMA-AS
into the Analysis Engine object for ease of configuration.

In addition I wrote my own code to generate the deployment descriptor from the
programmatic parameters provided.  The resulting XML is what the framework uses
to generate the Spring Bean file you mentioned.

That being said the existing API definitely has a learning curve which was part
of the motivation for creating Leo.

Thanks,

Thomas Ginter
801-448-7676