Hi,

Am 14.02.2019 um 09:44 schrieb Mandy Neumann:
> Hi,
>
> yes I already read elsewhere that TextRuler is not actively
> maintained. Which is a pity because it has the potential to be a
> really cool tool! We really need something like that in our project.

I could talk for hours about black-box vs white-box machine learning vs
manual rule engineering also concerning the maintanance of the annotator
and developement cycles...

Afterall, it's a question of priorities where the available time will be
spent and even if TextRuler is cool, it was always at the bottom of my
priority list for several years.

> Thanks for pointing me to the error log, I eventually found the
> problem in a NullPointerException - Ruta was not able to find the
> script Base.ruta I had imported in Features.ruta (I wanted to mirror
> the example project as closely as possible). Although both reside in
> the same package, it was not clear to me that I still have to use the
> fully qualified name to import.

Glad to hear that you found the problem.

> By the way, in case anybody wants to pick up maintaining TextRuler
> again, I would suggest to improve a bit on error handling here.

You can also help :-)

Just by creating a bug report in our Jira, you will put it on my todo
list. Also if I do not find the time to fix it, maybe others will.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/UIMA-5987?jql=component%20%3D%20ruta

Best,

Peter

--