Hi folks,

I am have been working on providing UIMA with a consistent concept of how
annotations can relate to each other
(e.g. overlap, follow, precede, cover, etc.) and following this on making the
SelectFS API of UIMAv3
consistent with this concept. While this might sound trivial, it is actually
not. E.g. figuring out in
which cases two annotations overlap if one of the annotations has a length of 0
requires some
consideration.

So we have talked about this topic so far on the developer list:

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/rff2b9882af077907ff1ad08e90f80a62a20efbfab587a08a5e2bc78c%40%3Cdev.uima.apache.org%3E

Now I am wondering whether it would be good to instead post such topics to the
users list
because it might be interesting to people here as well. Or maybe all those who
find this
kind of discussion are already also subscribed to the developers list and thats
ok.

What got me thinking into potentially moving this to the users list was that at
some points,
it becomes clear that the behavior of the code (e.g. SelectFS) in some
(edge)-cases may not
have received sufficient consideration in the past and may need to be changed
to be consistent
with itself and with other parts of the framework (e.g. the annotation relation
concepts).
This could potentially break something for a user. I believe I can make good
informed decisions
when a break is so unlikely that the risk is acceptable, but I would actually
prefer to get
some community feedback, e.g. to this mail:

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r640c3433db93160f77783896c182b2a8a53334434c337425040bc5d2%40%3Cdev.uima.apache.org%3E

What do you think?

Would you like to see this topic and maybe similar ones in the future to be
discussed on the users list instead of the developers list?

Cheers,

-- Richard