From: Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 10, 2024 3:13 PM
To: users@tomcat.apache.org
Subject: Re: Retrieve server.built, server.number

On 10/04/2024 21: 15, Christopher Schultz wrote: > All, > > On 4/10/24 4: 00
AM, Mark Thomas wrote: >> On 09/04/2024 17: 17, prat 007 wrote: >>> Hi All, >>>
>>> I would like to know is there a way to find

> All,

> On 4/10/24 4:00 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:

>> On 09/04/2024 17:17, prat 007 wrote:

>>> Hi All,

>>> I would like to know is there a way to find tomcat's server.built and

>>> server.number remotely using tool loke curl or from browser?

>> In a default installation, no.

>> You'd have to write a servlet that reported that information and then

>> request that page.

> ... and it might represent an information leakage vulnerability in your

> application. Be Careful.

Shall we start the flame war now on whether exposing the current version

  you are running represents a valid vulnerability or if hiding it is

just security by obscurity? Or do you want to save it for Bratislava?

:)

More seriously, your time is likely to be better spent (in my view)

keeping your Tomcat installations up to date with the latest releases

than it is ensuring that you hide the version number.

Mark