IIRC, there is one issue with that, is that IO load is considered a CPU load, so on busy storage servers you get throttling with almost free CPU. I may be wrong that load is calculated from loadavg, which is a different story at all, as it indicates the number of processes which are ready to consume the CPU time, including those waiting for IOs to complete, but that is what my mind recalls.

I easily get loadavg of 128 on iscsi storage servers with almost free CPU, no thermal reaction at all.

Best,
Vlad