I have integrated a (non-perl) cgi by calling it with a Cocoon reader. The
Cocoon reader passes parameters to the CGI (it's a Windows executable,
running under IIS on a separate Windows box) and the CGI calls Cocoon back
to extract information from other Cocoon pipelines, before returning data to
the Cocoon reader, which is then returned to the client browser.