(Subject line of my post may be misleading.)  What I'm trying to do is, when XSL processing of foo.xml is taking place, when a certain element is encountered in foo.xml, I want to insert content from someotherdocument.xml.

It appears that the XSLT function document() does this.  Is this the best way?

[I realize that aggregate sounds like it should do the trick, however, aggregate appears to require a priori knowledge of how many documents to aggregate, that is, when creating the sitemap you have to know in advance that you're going to do n aggregations.  In my case, however, I don't know how often I'm going to have to merge other xml documents when processing the main document.]

Hope that made sense.
David