Derek,
I initially, like i'm sure everyone else, started using XSP as that seemed to be all there was. Then I discovered JXT and flowscript! What can I say... I changed all of my XSP over to JXT, which made the code a lot easier and lighter. XSP seems to be very convoluted for example in the way in which you pass parameters into and out of it! The benefits of Flowscript (MVC) are self explanatory, and I would be very surprised if cocoon is not pushed in this direction.

All of the components that you mention, generators etc etc..., can all be used with JXT as well as far as I'm aware.

I just think it would be a good idea to start standardising on some core technologies within the cocoon framework, instead of stumbling across these various technologies as time goes by!

Peter