You should set the container-encoding to ISO-8859-1 and leave the form-encoding as UTF-8. If I remember correctly, the container-encoding is a thing introduced with servlet api 2.3 while cocoon was coping with 2.2 . The latter did pass everything in ISO and cocoon expects it to be ISO (will change probably in later cocoon versions). Remember to set your encoding in your serializers too (two places to look for! The element "encoding" AND attribute "mime-type" ):

<map:serializer logger="sitemap.serializer.xhtml" mime-type="text/html; charset=UTF-8" name="xhtml" pool-grow="2" pool-max="64" pool-min="10" src="org.apache.cocoon.serialization.XMLSerializer">
<doctype-public>-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN</doctype-public>
<doctype-system>http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd</doctype-system>
<encoding>utf-8</encoding>
</map:serializer>

Kind regards, Jan

Mark Lundquist wrote:

Hi,

I'm using Cocoon 2.1.5.1 w/ Jetty 4.2.15. xalan was throwing a SAXException trying to write a character (U2026, &hellip) that's not reppresentable "in the specified output encoding iso-8859-1".

I made sure I had <xml:output encoding="UTF-8"> everywhere, but the problem persisted. Finally I figured out that I needed to check the encoding parameters in web.xml. Sure enough, container-encoding and form-encoding were not set, and the comments indicate that they default to iso-8859-1.

So I set the container-encoding to UTF-8, and that didn't have any effect. Only when I set form-encoding to UTF-8 did my problem go away. The thing is, the character that was causing the problem isn't coming from the request! I expected container-encoding to be the one that would effect the behavior I was seeing.

So, am I just not understanding something correctly? Or is it a bug, and if so is it a problem with Cocoon or with Jetty?

Cheers,
Mark