I store all my content for a Cocoon site in xml files.  This means I make a
lot of use of the DirectoryGenerator.  It works great, but I've got now some
legacy .pdf files from another project, sometimes hundreds per directory,
sometimes on another machine on the local network, and so it takes several
seconds to collect the directory contents.

I know that DirectoryGenerator doesn't cache, which makes sense for most
cases.  But what about cases like mine where I know the contents of a
directory only change once a day at midnight: I don't need to keep pulling
the directory's contents all day long with every page hit to my site.  I
need caching of some sort.  I don't mind if the first visitor to my site
each day has to wait 5 seconds for that page.  But if I could then capture
that created final page and store it for the rest of the day, that would be
great.

I can envision relatively cumbersome solutions like running command line
programs on chron jobs to create the data I really need, which is a subset
of files from the directory.  But all this seems intuitively
unnecessary...Cocoon is such a flexible platform that I just sense there's a
simpler Cocoon solution to this.  Thanks.