Dave

Before getting into detail, I'd like to say that I do agree in principle with
what you
said below.

My real issue probably lies in the fact that I have been around computers too
long.
If I look at archives of my files from the early 90's; when DOS still reigned
supreme,
I see names like "birthday.inv" and "new-pc.mem" and "tax91.let".  We had
WordPerfect back then and I used the file extension to indicate what type of
document it was.  Both the program and I were happy - and neither had to
pretend
that the file extension indicated what type of _application_ was needed to open
that file!  The dawn of M$ Windows and its office "sweet", along with long file
names, led us down the road of "the file extension is reserved by the OS so it
knows what to do with the file".  Its only now, as I come to Linux, that I
realize
what a distortion that was.  A name is just a name - the real issue is "what is
in the
file?".  Its a bit like meeting someone, who because he is wearing a suit and
tie,
you assume is a manager (in fact, he turns out to be the cleaner on the way to
his daughters's wedding!).    The unfortunate side-effect of the dominance of
IE as
a browser is that it too has inherited this annoyance from its siblings;  this
despite
the fact that the Internet is the most heterogenous computing environment that
exists, and its more than likely that a "." in the context of the web means
something
quite different from the context of one's OS.

When I look at the suggested syntax for REST-based URLs, the authors seem to
have the same way of thinking - an example is
mydomain.com/hotels/hawaii/list/all
->  which we would assume returns a list of all hotels in Hawaii.   But is this
really
different in meaning from mydomain.com/hotels.hawaii.list.all  ->  would anyone
looking at this (excluding a Windows application) really think they are getting
some
strange "all" file?  Are either of these URLs "better" or "more generic" - I
think not.

The bottom line - I want my "." back - in fact, I want all of them back!

:)
Derek

PS The answer to your question of Microsoft Word file is - neither!    The
existing
URL (poor though it might be) is still a valid one and should be kept.  Ideally
it should
also keep delivering the M$ file since that is what the users are expecting.  I
might
publish a new URL called:    http://myorg.org/importantdocs/thisweek.xml or,
perhaps better,  http://myorg.org/importantdocs/thisweek or even
http://myorg.org/importantdocs/thisweek/xml (if I am going to be all RESTy)
and
deliver the new document via this address.   (Of course, I would pursue a
parallel
course persuading my readers to switch to the new address... and yes, in time,
eventually deprecate the old one in some way).  The point here is that a URL,
especially a widely accessed one, should be able to remain in place if
possible, but
that this has little to do with a supposed "extension" appearing in the name.

PPS I do agree with pretty much everything in the W3C doc - except for the
notion that the "." has some special meaning - well, it might to M$, but in the
context of designing a URI it is neither here or there (see above example for
the REST service).

>>> On 2008/10/09 at 12:27, in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, David Legg <[EMAIL
>>> PROTECTED]> wrote:
Derek,

> Please add the reference/link for why URLs in Cocoon should not
> have an extension -   I know its required, but why is it "bad"?

It's not specific to Cocoon.  I only mentioned that because Cocoon's
sitemap makes it particularly easy to map a URL without an extension to
some content.

So in general, it is not a good idea to include extensions in a URL if
you want that URL to be useful for a long time to come.  The extension
may contain implementation specific details which may not always be
true.  It's generally considered better to publish a generic URL and
then let the browser use content negotiation to determine whether it can
accept that content.  For example, what if your organization regularly
published an important document as a Microsoft Word file (*.doc) and
published it on your site with a URL of:

  http://myorg.org/importantdocs/thisweek.doc

That's great and you would probably bookmark it and everything would be
fine... until your organization decided to move with the times and
publish it as a styled xml document.  Now you have a dilemma... do you
change the url so it contains a .xml extension and risk losing your
loyal followers (whose bookmarks no longer work) or do you keep the same
url which ends in .doc but is actually an xml file?

A great resource for all this is the W3C's own Cool URIs [1] page.
There are a lot of other url advocates out there like this one [2].

I suppose though, if you are talking about downloads this might all be a
bit academic.  After all if you want to download an executable file the
chances are it will remain in the same format forever... but you should
at least spend half a second thinking about the format of the URL you
expose it with.

Regards,
David Legg

[1] http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI#remove
[2] http://blog.welldesignedurls.org/

This message is subject to the CSIR's copyright terms and conditions, e-mail
legal notice, and implemented Open Document Format (ODF) standard.
http://www.csir.co.za/disclaimer.html.

and is believed to be clean.  MailScanner thanks Transtec Computers for their
support.