Mika

It all depends on your environment and the "rate of change". There are
many back-end systems (running on old but reliable technology) that
hardly change at all.  However, the web (and now tablets/mobile) has a
very high rate of change (and expectation of change).  The point here is
that by using more loosely-coupled modules then you will only have to
change the parts that really need to be changed; a monolithic approach
is less amenable to that.

Derek

(And yes, of course, we are all helping to ensure that there are more -
not less - jobs in future!)

>>>  04/18/12 11:25 AM >>>

 Absolutely. But trying to stay on the edge of the trends won't fit for
 us all.
 And continous rewriting of apps doesn't make any sense. Why on earth we

 can't create something that would last at least a decade?
 Half of us would be out of jobs?

 - mika -

 On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 10:50:37 +0200, gelo1234
 wrote:
> I totally agree with Robby's opinion. The trend is to use HTML5 on
> the client side in case of Web apps.
>
> Greetings,
>  Greg
> 18-04-2012 10:27, "Robby Pelssers"  napisaƂ(a):
>  Just my 2 cents on this topic...
>
>  Cocoon forms was at the time in my eyes a pretty awesome solution to
> build highly dynamic forms with support for continuations. But as we
> all know this puts considerable strain on the server side.  Gradually
> we started seeing a tendency towards AJAX (XmlHttpRequests) which is
> fancy word for:
>  - no complete page refresh
>  - partial re-rendering of page
>  - only fetching the minimal amount of data
>  - let the browser do the heavy lifting
>
>  This trend is evolving even further now with Websockets.
>
>  One could easily say that the same discussions hold for database
> related technologies. Hibernate was the big revelation, a super
> abstraction over RDBMS dialects.  It greatly reduces portability but
> it just doesn't always do the right thing (e.g. performance wise) so
> some people reverted back to plain jdbc wrappers.
>
>  XSP was very convenient but it allows developers to mix controller /
> view which is now seen as a bad habit.
>
>  Avalon was the way forward to configure your components at the time
> and next dependency injection became the most hyped buzzword.  Spring
> framework and google juice came into play.
>
>  I guess it's a matter of taste and the willingness to move forward.
>  All (web)frameworks and technologies move forward (willingly or
> not):
>  - new JDK
>  - newer versions of dependencies
>  - Ant --> maven
>  - ...
>
>  Recently there were some rants against XSLT
> (http://www.snoyman.com/blog/2012/04/xslt-rant.html [2] ).  Just try
> transforming XML from your most favorite programming language and you
> might be in for a surprise.  Surely XSLT takes a lot of typing but
> also XSLT is evolving just as XQuery is.
>
>  I can only advise to take a good look around and find the best match
> for your requirements.  If that is all about building dynamic forms
> wicket might be a good fit.  Cocoon still is and certainly will be
> for the near future the best choice for transforming XML.
>
>  Cheers,
>  Robby

This message is subject to the CSIR's copyright terms and conditions, e-mail
legal notice, and implemented Open Document Format (ODF) standard.
http://www.csir.co.za/disclaimer.html.

and is believed to be clean.