Hi Josh,
         Why not have Rest api service running where you post messages
         from your mobile clients. Rest api can run kafka producers
         accepting these messages pushing it into kafka brokers.  Here
         is an example where we did similar service for kafka
         https://github.com/mozilla-metrics/bagheera . This project used
         kafka 0.7 but you can see how its implemented. Hope that helps.
-Harsha