The concept of "truncate topic" comes up a lot.  I will add it as an item
to https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-1694

It is a scary feature though, it might be best to wait until authorizations
are in place before we release it.

With 0.8.2 you can delete topics so at least you can start fresh easier.
That should work in the mean time.  0.8.2-beta should be out this week :)

 Joe Stein
 Founder, Principal Consultant
 Big Data Open Source Security LLC
 http://www.stealth.ly