There was a bug that could lead to the fetch request from the consumer
hitting it's timeout instead of being immediately triggered by the produce
request. To see if you are effected by that set you consumer max wait time
to 1 ms and see if the latency drops to 1 ms (or, alternately, try with
trunk and see if that fixes the problem).

The reason I suspect this problem is because the default timeout in the
java consumer is 100ms.

-Jay