The new consumer API looks good. If I understand it correctly you can use
it like simple consumer or high-level consumer. But I have couple questions
about it's internal implementation

First of all does the consumer have any internal fetcher threads like
high-level consumer?

When you assign multiple TopicPartitions to a consumer, how many TCP
connections it establish to the brokers. Is it same as number of leader
brokers that host those partitions or just number of TopicPartitions. If
there is any leader broker change does it establish new connections/using
existing connections to fetch the data? Can it continue consuming? Also is
the connection kept until the consumer is closed?

Thanks!

Best,
Siyuan