If the data volumes are low or you just want a quick prototype as a proof of
concept you could use existing tools like node-red to connect the various input
protocols with Kafka as an output protocol. For example install from
http://nodered.org then install node-red-contrib-modbus, then install
node-red-contrib-rdkafka, connect and configure the inputs and outputs and you
will have data flow. Same with just about any serial, TCP, or UDP based
protocol.

If you want something higher performance or industrial strength you can find
commercial or open source Kafka Connectors or write your own native Kafka
Connector for each input protocol. There are over 150 Kafka Connectors already
built (search for "kafka-connect-*" in github) and see the following connector
landing page for more info on Kafka Connect
https://www.confluent.io/product/connectors/

-hans

Sent from my iPhone