Hello Apache Kafka community,

Please correct me if wrong, I assume common Kafka client metrics (see
https://kafka.apache.org/documentation.html#selector_monitoring ) are
aggregated metrics of all different requests particular client instance
makes. So e.g. producer common metrics like outgoing-byte-rate and
incoming-byte-rate include not only Produce request/response byte-rate but
also all other requests producer makes, like Metadata request/response,
correct?

If so, would it be technically possible to have, as addition, or instead,
common client metrics per request/response?

E.g. I'm seeing that producer instance outgoing-byte-rate (data producer
sends to brokers) is lower than incoming-byte-rate (data received by
producer) - I guess that metadata requests are contributing to
incoming-byte-rate, but cannot see it from client metrics.

Or is it considered to be enough to have this breakdown per request not in
client metrics, but on broker side only?

Kind regards,
Stevo Slavic.