A single partition can be consumed by at most a single consumer. Consumers
compete to take ownership of a partition. So, in order to gain parallelism
you need to add more partitions.

There is a library that allows multiple consumers to consume from a single
partition https://github.com/gerritjvv/kafka-fast. But I've never used it.