Glad to hear that the config change helped.

For continuous rebalancing, it might be expected for KS, as KS uses the protocol in advanced ways. If you see log lines saying "follow up rebalance requested" than there is nothing to worry about, and the group is stable.

If you see "no follow up rebalance request" but you actually do get rebalances, it would indicate an issue.

-Matthias

On 4/3/24 2:24 PM, Venkatesh Nagarajan wrote:
Apologies for the delay, Bruno. Thank you so much for the excellent link and
for your inputs! Also, I would like to thank Matthias and yourself for the
guidance on the stalling issue in the Kafka Streams client. After restoring the
default value for the  METADATA_MAX_AGE_CONFIG, I haven’t seen the issue
happening. Heavy rebalancing (as mentioned before) continues to happen. I will
refer to the link which mentions about certain metrics which can give insights.

Thank you very much.

Kind regards,
Venkatesh

From: Bruno Cadonna <cado...@apache.org>
Date: Friday, 22 March 2024 at 9:53 PM
To: users@kafka.apache.org <users@kafka.apache.org>
Subject: Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Kafka Streams 3.5.1 based app seems to get stalled
Hi Venkatesh,

The 1 core 1 stream thread recommendation is just s starting point. You
need to set the number of stream thread as it fits you by monitoring the
app.

Maybe this blog post might be interesting for you:
https://www.responsive.dev/blog/a-size-for-every-stream<https://www.responsive.dev/blog/a-size-for-every-stream>

Best,
Bruno