Hi Cezary,

Thank you ever so much for the useful info.

The basic point that I still can really understand is 'how' Kannel - or any
free gateway - could reduce the cost of sending sms.  I just need to get the
answer before going through installing linux, buyinga   GSM modem, etc.

Despite googling a lot for the last 10 days, I am still 'confused' really.

The aim is to set it up for someone abroad.  The sim card provider do not allow
sending free messages from a mobile phone.

So, if we went for the option:

Application -> Free Gateway (e.g. Kannel)  -> GSM modem ( + simcard)

How could that be cheaper than to send them directly from a mobile phone?

On Kannel's website, one of the answers for this question
1.2 Why should I use Kannel instead of a commercial WAP gateway?

is:  The price is right :-) Do you really want to pay thousands of dollars of a
WAP gateway?

May be in this particular case, one should go for the other option, to bypass
the sim card provider altogether, i.e.:-
Application -> Free Gateway (e.g. Kannel)  -> SMSc agent/provider

In any case, thank you once again for your reply.

Best regards,

David