There must be some previous complain on configure I guess? This is what I
get when compiling on Snow Leopard:

checking for iconv... yes
checking for working iconv... yes
checking how to link with libiconv... -liconv
checking for iconv declaration...
         extern size_t iconv (iconv_t cd, char * *inbuf, size_t
*inbytesleft, char * *outbuf, size_t *outbytesleft);

Is the /usr/bin/iconv command available? What about running it with the -l
switch? You should get a list of supported charsets.

Anyway, check if you have the iconv libraries.

Regards,

Alex