I do not want any fight here however here is my comments.

If we use SQLBOX, below are the extra operations which happened.

1. Select from send_sms table
2. Delete from send_sms table
3. Insert into sent_sms table
4. Update sent_sms table once DLR received

FOR EVERY SMS.

As per my experience, if we connect any DB with kannel, it actually slow
down the overall performance of kannel. In your case if you don't have
MySQL in-between you might have achieved 500 TPS with same hardware.

Regards
Tapan Thapa