On 16/07/17 02:00, Robin Laing wrote:
Hello,

Trying to help someone install F26 on an older laptop that has just had the HDD replaces with an SSD. The SSD was used for a short time on a different machine.

A couple of install attempts with the KDE live stick were a big failure when formatting the partitions. CPU usage (dual core) went to 100% on both cores and then died.

SSD was partitioned but not formatted.

I have no experience with SSD troubles but this seems strange for a little used drive to not be able to be formatted.

Could the formatting issues be related to partitions not being on the end of the virtual cylinders?

Will test later once we get the drive out of the laptop to see if we can partition and format it.

Robin Laing

Took drive out of laptop and put in a carrier and found that the partitions were totally screwed. According to cfdisk, the partitions left over 1E bytes free. I would love to have an SSD with over an Exabyte of space.

Repartitioned the drive with cfdisk, created the luks containers and formatted with no errors.

Now the issue is, is the problem the old laptop or the installer not partitioning the drive properly.

Robin