On Sep 8, 2017 3:47 PM, "JD" <jd1...@gmail.com> wrote:

On 09/08/2017 01:27 AM, Samuel Sieb wrote:

> On 09/07/2017 07:15 PM, JD wrote:
>
>> On 09/07/2017 01:31 PM, Bill Shirley wrote:
>>
>>> Look in your log files for DHCP messages.
>>>
>>> Well, I did look in all the log files under /var/log/ and found nothing
>> related to failure to provide an IP addy.
>>

> If the DHCP server is receiving requests, there will be log messages from
> it.  You should also have a bunch of messages just from it starting up.
>
> But I do not understand what you mean by "you're still before the
>> iptables/forwarding stage"
>>
>> Do you mean that there are rules preceding the rules I provided for ip
>> forwarding and masquerading,
>> such that the incoming request (for an IP addy) is never making it down
>> to the rules I had added?
>>

> No, DHCP requests are broadcast, so they don't forward.  They stay in the
> physical (or logical) subnet they are sent on.  My understanding from your
> first message is that your computer is connected to the internet over wifi
> and it also has an ethernet port.  Is the skype phone on wifi or ethernet?
> You could watch for DHCP requests by running:
>
> tcpdump -vn -i em1 port 68
>
> and you could verify that the server is running using:
>
> lsof -i udp:68

Hi Samuel,
I believe Imentioned tat the ethernet port em1 is the LAN, not on the
internet.
The phone is connected to em1.

Today, I do not have the phone to try.
I suspect that something might be wrong with my iptable rules.
Also, I do not know the uuid nor the MAC addy of the skype phone,
so, I have no idea how to hardcode the LAN ip addy for the phone
in /etc/dhcp/dhcpd.conf. If I knew the MAC of the skype phone, it
would perhaps simplify the handshake between the skype phone
and the computer (dhcpd).

If the client is plugged directly into the Ethernet port that dhcpd is
listening on, why are you discussing packet forwarding and the wireless
interface?

I would tcpdump on em1 to verify traffic. 'journalctl -u dhcpd' should show
requests and such.  Also verify that the phone is set up for dynamic and
not static address assignment, and perhaps test with a different client.

--Pete