On 11/2/18 5:46 pm, francis.montag...@inria.fr wrote:
Hi.

On Sun, 11 Feb 2018 12:07:50 +1100 Stephen Morris wrote:

Just some info on this. The original format of your grub menu, being one
line per kernel, was probably coming from grubby. When kernel installs
are done, the install process runs grubby by default to build grub.cfg
and update the mbr (in a non-efi system) and grubby builds grub.cfg with
a line per kernel. I don't like that format so after every kernel
install I manually run grub2-mkconfig and grub2-install to get the menu
with a single line for the current kernel and and Advanced sub-menu for
the other kernels.
You can make that automatic by adding a script in

   /etc/kernel/postinst.d/

to call grub2-mkconfig -o ...

grub2-install is not needed I think.

Thanks Francis, I'll check that out. Grub2-install is still required to update the mbr on non-efi (legacy) systems.

regards,

Steve