On 26/02/18 20:07, Fernando Cassia wrote:
On 2/27/18, Robin Laing <me...@telusplanet.net> wrote:
Hi, I need to use Java within Firefox for some network tools that
require it.  Is there a way to use both Firefox Quantum and Firefox ESR
on the same machine?

I spend quite some time to get Quantum to work close to what I and I
don't want to lose that.

Robin

Yes, Robin,

What I do is download the AppImage build of Firefox.
https://dl.bintray.com/probono/AppImages/:Firefox-57.0.4.glibc2.3.4-x86_64.AppImage

And then rename it firefox-latest, put it somewhere on your $PATH

Then have the ESR version installed by your package manager

You might want to use separate user-profiles... eg make both launchers
use the -P command line option to invoke the Profile Manager window
upon launch. This allows you to have separate profiles for each and
avoid any conflict with addons or differences between versions...

FC

Thanks for the quick response.

I would rather do it the other way and have the ESR version as the firefox-oldest.

A separate profile is a great idea and I normally use different accounts for most of my stuff if possible. Helps to keep my stuff separate and less finger issues. :)

Will try it tonight.

Robin