On Tue, 30 Oct 2018 13:41:50 +0100
Jiri Vanek <jva...@redhat.com> wrote:

I'm not familiar with hdmi, but I'll try to give you some ideas.

> I have f29 (ernel kernel-4.18.12-300.fc29  ) on  machine, which is
> changing its place from time to time - between two TVs. Old, and
> older:)
>
> Both are connected by HDMI. Video output is fine, even acceleration
> is working,  but sound work only on newer of those two.
>
> I don't know if this is regression, because this machine replaced 32b
> rapbery2 with kodi, which was working without issues on both TVs (but
> was eaten by (not mine) dog)

Can you try an older version of the kernel?  Or alsa?  It sure sounds
like a regression, but the audio information doesn't support that.  Just
a check to be sure.

> I was following
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_debug_sound_problems but had
> not found much:
>  - with removed pulseaudio, the aplay -vv segfaults
>      - I really on pulseaudio anyway, as I need to transfer sound to
> this machine over network
>
>  - the diff of alsa-info.sh's is really minimal [1], only
> [cite]
> state.vc4hdmi {
>       control.1 {
>               iface PCM
>               name ELD
>               value '100007006712000100000000000000004c2d9d02
> for non working and
>               value '100007006712000100000000000000004c2d9b03
> for working
> [/cite]

If alsa didn't know about the interface for the failing device, it
wouldn't be able to specify a control.  Are there any warnings or
errors in the journal during boot, or when trying to play?

>   - when alsamixer is opened, then the default looks like working,
> and the job on old tv; but not do nothing older tv.
>   - when alsamixer -c0 is opened, then the  vc4-hdmi reports no
> control for selected device for *both* tvs (which is same as f6 and
> selecting vc4-hdmi)
>
> Does anybody have a clue what to try?

Great troubleshooting report, very complete.

Is it possible that you changed a setting on the older TV that isn't
working?  Because, like you said, it *should* be working.

What happens if you just use an audio player to send only audio to the
older TV from the command line?  Maybe try such with debugging enabled.
Or look in the logs to see if it complains about anything.

e.g. mplayer -vv [audio-file]
or
mplayer -vv -novideo [video-file]

Since the hdmi is the only device, it should route to the TV to play.
I think.

If there are no errors and it acts like it is playing, that really
points to the older TV having an issue.