On 10/30/18 7:50 PM, ToddAndMargo via users wrote:
> On 10/30/18 6:18 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> On 10/31/18 6:45 AM, ToddAndMargo via users wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> FC28, x86
>>> Xfce 4.12
>>>
>>> I am trying to copy he new Xfce Live ISO (1.4 GB) over
>>> to a Samsung usb 3.1 stick.  It is taking FOREVER.  And
>>> this is typical.
>>>
>>> Is your usb also slow by any chance?
>>
>> Nope....
>>
>> [egreshko@meimei ~]$ uname -r
>> 4.18.16-200.fc28.x86_64
>> [egreshko@meimei ~]$ time cp Fedora-Xfce-Live-x86_64-29-20181029.1.iso
>> /run/media/egreshko/0E3723CF5E376877/
>>
>> real    0m50.392s
>> user    0m0.030s
>> sys     0m4.014s
>>

> mumble, mumble

As several people have mentioned, you can only write to a USB stick
"n" times. As the drive gets used more and more, writes will get slower
and slower as the drive has to find "fresh" locations to write to. USB
sticks are NOT rotating magnetic media or even SSD, so you really can't
expect similar speeds. Don't think of USB sticks as hard drives, more
like CD-RWL (CD, read-write limited).

There are a number of motherboards out there where the firmware can
force a USB3 port (normally using the xhci mechanism) to use the slower
ehci mechanism, thereby negating the USB3 speed. You might check your
BIOS/UEFI settings to see if that's the case.

Also verify that the USB stick you're futzing with is, indeed, USB3
compliant and that all OTHER devices using that port are USB3. The port
will slow down to accommodate the slowest device on it.