On 2018-11-03 10:49 a.m., Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 03, 2018 at 08:27:03AM -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
>> On Fri, Nov 02, 2018 at 09:00:17PM -0400, William Oliver wrote:
>>> I just read this in The Register -- that  RH is deprecating KDE in
>>> RHEL.  As a long time fan of KDE, I'm a bit saddened.  Is this planned
>>> for Fedora as well?
>>
>> Red Hat doesn't make decisions for Fedora.
>
> Legally that may be correct. But who's the main sponsor for Fedora? [1]
> And usually the guy who pays for the orchestra decides for the tunes
> that are played. Correct?

No, not correct. Red Hat funds a lot of projects, simply to ensure they
survive and thrive but then stays hands-off. Fedora, Centos and
countless other projects included. They know they can't make decisions
as well as the people at the front of a project, so they leave them be
and simply pick off the parts that help them.

>> That said: also, no, there is no such plan. As long as people are
>> interested
>> in working on it, there will be a KDE desktop option in Fedora.
>
> The people "working on it", you write. I note the difference to people
> "working with it" ... ;)

Most Fedora developers are users as well. Example; I live in the HA
cluster world, mostly dominated by Red Hat (with an honourable mention
to SUSE). Packages get pushed into Fedora via the same mechanisms as
every other package, and from there, pulled into each subsequent RHEL
release. Some of the group develop on an Ubuntu variant (or even windows
in a couple cases), but all test against Fedora at the very least.

> Plus:
> As Fedora is more or less directly linked to RHEL [2] - what financial
> sense does it make for Redhat to support the work on KDE if even now
> already RHEL deprecates KDE?

Fedora is arm's length and independent. RH sees the value / ROI on
knowing they have a reliable place to build RHEL from, nothing more.
Every RHEL release takes some version (or two) off of Fedora as a base.
Once they have that base, they start heavily modifying it.

One of the top concerns, since RHEL 6, has been to streamline what RH
support is liable for. If there are two projects that provide
effectively the same thing, one will be dropped. This is purely for
reducing support liability. We say this with Xen being dropped in EL6 in
favour of KVM/qemu, for example.

I suspect that is the same motivation for dropping KDE. Gnome is more
popular and provides a GUI, so why pay developers and support staff to
support KDE in RHEL as well? The majority of GUI users on RHEL are
"Workstation" systems, which don't generate them much money (compared to
full RHEL) and are largely corporate, where standard builds are the norm.

This is not a conspiracy again KDE, it's simply business. Fedora, not
being a source of income for them and being arm's length, will be left
free to do and support whatever they want. Who knows, maybe someday it
will make sense to swap out Gnome for KDE as the official GUI? Leave it
to the community and let time tell.

> Release notes for RHEL 7.6:
>
> "KDE has been deprecated
>     KDE Plasma Workspaces (KDE), which has been provided as an
>   alternative to the default GNOME desktop environment has been
>   deprecated. A future major release of Red Hat Enterprise Linux will
>   no longer support using KDE instead of the default GNOME desktop
>   environment." [3]
>
> Clearly: Redhat/Fedora without support for KDE on Fedora will probably
> risk to lose lots of its Fedora users to other OS's. So the enterprise
> perhaps might want to be a little more explicit for their future
> support of KDE in upcoming Fedora versions - provided they really want
> these users to keep using Fedora.
>
> Wolfgang

> [1] https://getfedora.org/sponsors
> [2]
> https://www.redhat.com/en/technologies/linux-platforms/articles/relationship-between-fedora-and-rhel
>
> [3]
> https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/7/html-single/7.6_release_notes/

Digimer
"I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of
Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent
have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops." - Stephen Jay Gould