On Sat, 3 Nov 2018 10:43:08 -0700 stan <stanl-fedorau...@vfemail.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 3 Nov 2018 09:01:19 -0500
> Ranjan Maitra <mai...@email.com> wrote:
>
> > I tried the following:
> >
> > systemctl hibernate
> >
> > and I get:
> >
> > Failed to hibernate system via logind: Resume not configured, can't
> > hibernate
> >
> > I have never previously had to configure anything on an upgraded
> > system already capable of hibernating (once hibernated). Has
> > something changed? What do I do to fix this issue?
>
> There was a discussion on the devel list a few months ago about this.
> I think the idea was to disable it because it isn't supported for all
> architectures.  I thought it was delayed, but it might have been
> implemented for f29.  You need to add a resume option to the kernel
> line in your grub.cfg.
>
> It needs to point to the swap partition you are using for hibernate in
> the kernel line.  UUID is probably easiest.  From the kernel
> documentation:
>
>  resume=         [SWSUSP]
>                         Specify the partition device for software suspend
>                         Format:

So, I wanted to mention that the following is what I have on my
/etc/default/grub

GRUB_TIMEOUT=5
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR="$(sed 's, release .*$,,g' /etc/system-release)"
GRUB_DEFAULT=saved
GRUB_DISABLE_SUBMENU=true
GRUB_TERMINAL_OUTPUT="console"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="resume=UUID=a83ac239-cc10-43a6-be54-de4ce7050605 rhgb quiet"
GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY="true"

which is what it was even under F28.

Do I need to change anything here to make things work?

Again the message is:  Failed to hibernate system via logind: Resume not
configured, can't hibernate

I also don't understand why two machines with identical setups and both
hibernating fine with F28 behave dissimilarly when updated to F29. The older
one works fine, the new one can not hibernate and yields the above message
instead. It does not appear that there is a swap space issue. I have the
following:

$ free
              total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:       16124252     1387044    12681636      493012     2055572    13901152
Swap:      20967420           0    20967420

Many thanks and best wishes,
Ranjan