Allegedly, on or about 12 December 2018, home user via users sent:
> Something keeps trying to do automated updates, but I have not been
> able to figure out what, or how to shut it off.

When you log into a GUI session, the GUI can fire off things as you log
in.  In MATE, there's a "mate-session-properties" tool to control these
things.  Gnome has something similar (slight name change to the
command).  KDE, likewise.  Similar for other desktops.

In my mate-session-properties I see a "dnfdragora-updater" entry was
pre-installed.  I un-ticked that to stop it looking for updates.  Like
you, I do updates when I want them to happen.

And I'm subscribed to the "updates" mailing lists, which gives me far
more information about updated packages than the GUI tool does.  I also
get to hear about packages that I haven't installed (that can be a
blessing and a curse).  The update info is in my mail, where I can read
it when I want to, rather than some GUI tool interrupting me with
alerts.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
Linux 4.16.11-100.fc26.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue May 22 20:02:12 UTC 2018 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.
There is no point trying to privately email me, I only get to see

Using Windows software is like coating all your handtools with sewage.