On 28/01/2019 20:30, Robert Nichols wrote:
On 1/28/19 8:03 AM, Ian Malone wrote:
I wouldn't recommend just doing /dev/zero if the CIA,
or even a moderately funded newspaper might specifically be after your
data,

I would be interested to know if you can name any data recovery service that has ever demonstrated the ability to recover data from a reasonably modern hard disk that has been overwritten once with zeros.

Wasn't there a prize years ago for any business that could demonstrate the ability to read a drive that was write just once?

I had an issues years ago. I accidentally reformatted the wrong drive but I could recover much data. It was not encrypted though.

Reformatting, doesn't erase any data.

As any raid user knows, rebuilding a raid with multi TB drives takes ages. Why would we expect a random write to work much faster?

Robin