> I use gtk-v4l to control the webcam during meetings

ok,
I just installed that too.  It launches ok, but until I have a zoom (or
something similar) meeting, I won't know if it really works.

> guvcview has a "-z" option to bring it up in control-only mode,
> otherwise it grabs the video stream too.

I did not see that option in the man page.  How did you know (or find out)
about it?
I get quite a bunch of messages when I run "guvcview -z" from the command line,
but the GUI does come up, and it looks ok.  I won't know if it really works
until I have a zoom (or something similar) meeting.  I don't know when that
will be.

Thank-you for your help, DJ.  I'll try to remember to follow-up once these are
really tried.  It may be a few weeks.