On 2021-01-24 23:02, Tim via users wrote:
On Sun, 2021-01-24 at 12:46 -0500, Bob Goodwin wrote:
Orca might work if I could adjust the voice to something
intelligible, the default;;t seems to lose syllables from each word.
Another approach might be trying to find out whether a different voice
is better, or if a different text-to-speech engine can be chosen.

I've only looked at screen readers on Linux with a very cursory glance,
just from curiosity.  I wasn't that impressed, either.  My 1980s Amiga
sounded better.

There must be some special interest groups that look into disability
support on Linux.
*
Yes, about fifteen years ago when I began worrying about what might lay ahead I found a text to speech program that worked but the voice was awful and I didn't need it at the time. Actually my problem began 21 years ago , I was Reading when my right eye's retina went dark.

I will stand by my original complaint about the generic menu names, this Fedora Linux and not Apple or Windows, both of which confuse me when I encounter them, Now I am forced to learn to use an iPod with it's confusing array of icons that are difficult for me to see without my 'Merlin' CCTV to provide decent size images. I think the typical Fedora user is continually learning and enjoys doing so and doesn't need extraneous riddles in the application menu names, Like Mail Reader or any of the others cited in this thread.

I should have known that Mail Reader dies not do what it says it does, unlike other menu items it just does nothing when clicked.

I thank everyone for their responses to my question.  m open to suggestions if anyone has a Linux solution to the mail reader problem. I found nothing in Orca configuration that made it intelligible, other than that it still looks like a good possibility.

--
Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA
FEDORA-32/64bit LINUX XFCE Fastmail POP3