On Fri, Apr 23, 2021 at 2:51 PM Michael Hennebry
<henne...@web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu> wrote:

> I've read that I need --force to grub2-install onto a partition.

That's sufficiently unreliable that upstream GRUB has recommended
against it for almost a decade.

First, what firmware type is this?

[ -d /sys/firmware/efi ] && echo UEFI || echo BIOS

If this really is a computer with BIOS, it's something like:

grub2-install /dev/sda

And yes that steps on the Windows bootloader in the MBR. But
grub2-mkconfig via os-prober should find the Windows bootloader and
add a chainloader entry for it.

I'm actually betting dollars to donuts that this is a UEFI system, and
grub2-install was used, and now it's looking for grub.cfg in the wrong
location.

Fedora 33, UEFI:

sudo dnf reinstall grub2-* shim-*
sudo grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/efi/EFI/fedora/grub.cfg

Fedora 34, UEFI:

sudo dnf reinstall grub2-* shim-*
sudo grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

> The UUID not found is used by the F33 live DVD.
> Changing sda3's UUID to that seems a bad idea.

It is. You should use 'sudo blkid' and find out what UUID is on sda3
and put that into fstab for /

--
Chris Murphy