On 06/07/2021 09:57, Greg Woods wrote:
Well, not completely OT because I do need one that will work on Fedora.

I have found a number of ink jet all-in-ones that work well on Fedora, from Epson, HP, and Brother. The problem is that I don't use the printer all that much, and every single one of them eventually (after I've had it for a few months) develops a head clog that is so bad that not even the printer's cleaning cycle can fix it. I have tried some of the cleaning kits with not much success (I'm a lousy handyman), and even if I could get the cleaning kits to work, I'd rather find a printer where I can avoid this headache.

So, is there any such thing as an all-in-one ink jet printer that does not suffer from this problem if it is not used regularly? Question #2 is, are any of the all-in-one laser printers any good and work (all functions) with Fedora Linux?

Thanks,
--Greg

After reading the thread, I will go with a laser. I have had so many issues with ink jets and one of the new issues that I didn't see mentioned in this thread are printers that won't work with expired ink. Even though the ink cartridge is full, the printer refuses to use it.

I also suggest laser and we have two HP lasers. Since the life of lasers is so long, when we purchased one for our university student, we got a commercial one with full duplex for both printing and scanning. With COVID-19, they were doing more printing but still using the original cartridges. It was in stock and on sale.

We have an older HP 400 printer and with HPLIP and the HP scanner plugin, from HP, we have no issues using XSane as long as the plugin is up to date. My only issue I had was I had set the scanner for duplex and didn't even know at that time it did duplex. :)

As for cartridges, this is where the laser is better. They have long shelf lives. We purchase directly from HP and may do it once a year. They have some great specials at times.

Our other student purchased a cheap Samsung laser printer and it just worked with an older version Fedora.

I have spent so much money on ink jets in the past to replace them for multiple reasons. Spent less money on laser cartridges than would have on ink over the years.

We use HP and Xerox printers at work.

Robin