On 10/28/22 13:14, Jake D wrote:
Then you're probably done.  This much damage is difficult to repair
without some knowledge about what you're doing.  I'm curious about all
the issues you were having because that's unusual.  Did you ask here
about those issues?

Thats disappointing. I didnt realise Linux was so fragile. Windows recovery is
normally very easy by comparison

That's funny. Randomly delete some system files and the boot partition and ask a new user to fix it. Good luck. Almost always, even for not new users, any serious windows problem is solved by reinstalling the system.

The issues were wide ranging. Much of the course software would not install as
described. Virtual machines were a nightmare and still dont work properly. Lots
of hardware problematic or not supported (display, touchpad, touchscreen) ,
extremely sluggish performance, the software center repeatedly crashing and
repository issues... a LOT. I've asked in a few other place and generally got
little to no response at all.  I had a dollar for every time people had told me
'thats unusual, Fedora is really good!', but then having no explanation or
solution, I could probably buy a windows license off eBay and done a different
course

I have installed Fedora on a very wide variety of laptops and almost never had any issues. The only serious issues were an unsupported wifi card and a BIOS that absolutely insisted on booting windows.

As it is, class starts on Monday and my computer wont boot. I'd prefer not to
forfeit my course fee but if this is genuinely unsolvable, I guess I've learned
at least one lesson about Linux....

Hopefully the lesson is that installing over an existing install is going to cause some problems with that original install.

Since you've already solved all the problems once, won't it be easy to redo that? Maybe try asking in here for help, since I can't imagine what solutions you found and I wouldn't be surprised that random "solutions" you find online would be causing you even more problems.