On 3/16/23 9:43 AM, Michael D. Setzer II wrote:
On 16 Mar 2023 at 9:17, home user wrote:

Does your computer use UEFI to boot? If so, is the image you're using for
memtest86+ correct?

How do I determine the answer to Richard's first question?  I can't do what
Todd suggested without knowing the correct answer.

If you are going to create a CD or USB, don't know if it
really matters. I believe the ISO files of the 6.10 version
on https://memtest.org/ have both the legacy and uefi
boot (Note: Isn't signed UEFI, so if secure boot is set on
machine, it would need to be turned off to run)
ISO files are usually designed to be burned to CDs, but
there are hybrid options that allow it to be copied using
dd to a usb flash, but will wipe out anything on usb, so
needs a clean one.
When booting on a machine setup for legacy boot, it will
use legacy setup, if booted on a uefi system, it will use
the efi boot directories..

The one that I downloaded was "Linux ISO (64 bits).
It landed in my "Downloads" directory as "mt86plus_6.10_64.iso.zip"
In "Files", I double-clicked the zip file, it launched a window titled
"Extract".
Further selects and clicks results in a file "mt86plus_6.10_64.iso".

I inserted a USB-2 stick into a USB-2 slot.  It appeared to be empty.
I dragged the iso file from Downloads in the Files window to the stick in
another Files window.

When rebooting, I did the set-up thing.
The system seems to not see the stick with the iso file.

Did I get the correct file from the memtest web site?
How do I determine whether the stick is "bootable"?
If the stick is not bootable, how do I make a bootable stick with the iso file
on it?

[...snip...]
I'll come back to that part after the stick is properly set up.

What version of Linux is on machine. Think you said
machine was setup 10 years ago, but didn't say if it had
been updated over the years to newer versions.

It's a stand-alone home workstation.
I upgrade every 6 months; I'm now at f36; next upgrade in mid April.
I patch (dnf upgrade) every week; next patch later today.
If it matters, I mainly use gnome.
As far as I know, I don't use "secure boot", but I'm not certain.

thanks,
Bill.