Go Canes wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 26, 2023 at 2:16 PM Geoffrey Leach <geoffleach...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> What I wanted to be able to do is this. I 've downloaded the fedora 37
>> iso. I wan to know if it has gparted. How can I answer that without
>> writing it to a thumb drive and booting?
>
> Assuming the downloaded iso is on or available from an existing Fedora
> install, just "sudo mount *filename.iso* /mnt", and then explore.

With the Live images, the OS is in LiveOS/squashfs.img,
which itself contains only the rootfs.img.  So there's not
much exploring to be done there without extracting or
mountint the rootfs image.

$ unsquashfs -ll /tmp/iso/LiveOS/squashfs.img
drwxrwxr-x root/root                29 2022-11-05 05:17 squashfs-root
drwxrwxr-x root/root                33 2022-11-05 05:17 squashfs-root/LiveOS
-rw-rw-r-- root/root        8128561152 2022-11-05 05:34
squashfs-root/LiveOS/rootfs.img

Fortunately, the liveimage-mount command from the
livcd-tools package can automate the process of mounting the
nested images pretty easily:

$ mkdir -p /tmp/liveos && sudo liveimage-mount --chroot
Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-37-1.7.iso /tmp/liveos

preparing temporary overlay...
b'0+0 records in\n0+0 records out\n0 bytes copied, 0.0001046 s, 0.0 kB/s\n'
Starting subshell in a chroot.
  Changes to '/tmp/Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-37-1.7.iso' filesystems are
only temporary.
  Changes will NOT persist after rebooting.
            Press Ctrl D to exit...
[root@localhost /]# command -v gparted
[root@localhost /]#

> Or, use kvm/virtualbox/vmware/whatever and set up a VM
> with the ISO in the CD drive and no other storage, and
> boot it that way.

This is also a pretty simple method.  Booting the image can
be done with no setup:

    qemu-kvm -m 2048 -vga qxl -cdrom /path/to/fedora.iso

In any case, gparted is not included on the Fedora
Workstation Live images.  Though it is trivial to install
within the live image.

> Another option - if the whole point is to have a bootable
> iso with gparted installed on it, why not just find an iso
> that you know includes it?

Another good option, if you're looking for something you can
toss on a USB drive and have handy.

--
Todd