On 03/07/2023 15:05, Ian Pilcher wrote:
On 7/3/23 07:08, lejeczek via users wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean by 'in-place' do not work?

You cannot update an EL 7 FreeIPA server to EL 8, nor can you update from EL 8 to EL 9.  The only supported path is to add a new replica, running the new version, and then retire the old server.  (If you want the server to keep the same hostname, you then need to repeat the
process.)

Ah, sure, that will probably never change for Centos.
I think more adequate is, as they call it, 'rolling/on' release or point-release-update, rather then in-place updates, which was a bit confusing. I'd suggest containers as a way out if it, perhaps VMs if can afford resource-wise. Sure containers are also subject to generally understood "up-grade/date" but might be easier to manage in this & migrate to/over respects - I'm inclined to claim.