Thanks for the reply.

The SD card behaves the same way on another system (F37)

In desperation, I removed all of the date and used gparted to delete
and recreate the file system. It did than, then restored all of the
deleted files.

I have the new result below. It appears that I need to replace the
superblock, but I've been unable to discover how to do that.

# e2fsck  /dev/mmcblk0p1
e2fsck 1.46.5 (30-Dec-2021)
MP4: recovering journal
Superblock needs_recovery flag is clear, but journal has data.
Run journal anyway<y>? yes
e2fsck: unable to set superblock flags on MP4
MP4: ********** WARNING: Filesystem still has errors **********