On Wed, Sep 27, 2023 at 11:46:07AM -0700, Mike Wright wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I have no idea how I got in this mess, but I've lost the ability to use ping
> as a regular user.  sudo still works.
>
> Nothing in lsattr, regular perms are 755 no suid.
>
> ping: socktype: SOCK_RAW
> ping: socket: Operation not permitted
> ping: => missing cap_net_raw+p capability or setuid?
>
> Any help?  Especially ideas on how I managed to do this?

What fedora version is this?

ping used to use 'capabilities' to give itself the needed permssions to
send things to the network. capabilities are pretty rough grained. ie,
the 'cap_net_raw' lets you do a lot of things with network (more than
ping really needs to work).

Any currently supported fedora tho should no longer be using
capabilities for ping instead it's using a change to kernel config to
allow ports by ping.

From f31:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/EnableSysctlPingGroupRange

So, check:

grep ping_group_range /usr/lib/sysctl.d/*.conf

(which should be:
/usr/lib/sysctl.d/50-default.conf:-net.ipv4.ping_group_range = 0 2147483647
)

kevin