On 3/11/24 12:45, Alex wrote:
I now have his PC with me on my local network, and commands executed through ssh -X still display on his screen instead of mine.

 From his gnome-terminal on my PC:
[gary@fedora ~]$ echo $DISPLAY
localhost:10.0

How do I set the display for commands executed remotely to appear on my screen?

It might be the program ignoring the DISPLAY because it's using wayland or because it already is running locally and just starts a new window. Try running something like "xdpyinfo" or "xrandr" to see if you can tell which display it's using.
You can try running "export GDK_BACKEND=x11" before running evolution.